Kom jij ons Fotonica team versterken?
Come and join our Photonics team!
This student evaluation aims at providing a better impression on how they experience various elements of the educational programme such as the course content and teaching methods, the quality of the hands-on labs, the preferences with exchange programmes like Erasmus, and the interaction with industry.
The students are particularly satisfied: 90% of them would recommend our Master in Photonics programme to future students.
The evaluation indicates that students are highly satisfied with:
• the expertise of the professors and their easy accessibility
• the great opportunities for international mobility with photonics partners abroad
• the course material in line with the lectures
• the considerable attention to soft skills and entrepreneurship
• the very strong cooperation with industry through internships and company visits
The students also have further wishes to optimize the curriculum through:
• an even higher percentage training labs to practice their knowledge
• more frequent lectures on the latest research developments and trends in photonics
• opportunities to evaluate their newly acquired skills and knowledge through self-tests.
Opinions among students are divided as to make internships compulsory or to keep them elective.
Prof. Heidi Ottevaere and her colleagues are currently already implementing the first concrete student recommendations at VUB. "We are very grateful to our students for the valuable feedback. In particular we appreciate that our international students have indicated that examination methods can differ from the ones they are used to ," says Prof. Ottevaere.
"We have therefore organized a test exam for the photonics course, to make our new students acquainted with our examination system already at an early stage. This will certainly contribute to their success rate and make them quickly feel at home."