Celebrate light with the IDeaLight competiton
The UNESCO had proclaimed the 16th May as the International Day of Light (IDL). The annual celebration of the IDL will enable global appreciation of the central role that light and light-based technologies play in the lives of the citizens of the world in areas of science, technology, culture, education, and sustainable development. SPIE Vrije Univ. Brussel Student Chapter of the International Society for Optics and Photonics (SPIE) at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB), will celebrate virtually the International Day of Light on 16th May in Belgium with an event “IDeaLight. competition 2020”. Everyone is welcome to participate in the competition with recorded homemade experiments.
1. Demonstrate a light related experiment using materials from home. E.g. Show how light travels through an optic fibre, build your own periscope, make something invisible,...
2. Record a maximum two minutes duration video of the experiment. You can use your smartphone camera. Show in this video how the experiment works, what you want to proof, which materials you use.
3. The video can be voice-over (English) or voiceless.
4. Upload the video to the Google form with a short description (max. 100 words in English), including the name, age and email address of a participant, the title of the experiment, the optical phenomena and the used materials for the experiment.
5. The participant can send a video until the 5th May 23:59.
6. By submitting the video, the participant automatically agrees to pass the rights to use/share/modify the video to the organisers.
1. On 8th May SPIE Vrije Univ. Brussel Chapter shares all the received videos on its official Facebook page.
2. The IDeaLight. competition 2020 will have two winners.
3. The first winner is a person who gets the most likes on Facebook for the video until 16th May at 16:05 (People’s choice).
4. The professional jury will select the second winner.
5. On 16th May at 19:30 the SPIE Vrije Univ. Brussel Chapter will announce the winners of IDeaLight.competition 2020.
6. Two winners will be awarded an Optics Outreach Kit. The winner videos will be posted on SPIE and VUB B-PHOT official social media. SPIE Vrije Univ. Brussel Chapter will give a signed certificate.